Friday 19 November 2021

Blood Moon Comes to NZ

I've always been fascinated with the Astronomy, especially the night sky. I love watching sunsets and the moon rising. The phases of the moon remind me of the places I have sat and watched the night sky all around the world.

Stargazing has always been a hobby. I love to spot the two pointers of the Southern Cross and find direct South. When I lived in the Northern Hemisphere I stargazed at a different Star Constellation.

This evening there was a Blood Moon. It was a celebrated event as it hasn't occurred for 800 years. The moon rose earlier tonight and you could see the eclipse clearly in the North Eastern sky.

                            


It was a very long eclipse because the moon was at the furtherest part of its orbit away from the Earth.  It is s so far away from Earth it moves very slowly resulting in a very long eclipse. This is called a Micro Moon.

It is called a blood moon because during a lunar eclipse the Earth passes directly between the moon and the Sun so that the Earth's shadow falls directly on to the moon, making it dark.

At the mid-phase of the eclipse the only light falling on the moon is from all of the sunsets around the Earth so that is why the colour goes red. 

It was so spectacular to watch.

Did you see this phenomena in our night sky?

7 comments:

  1. Reply: Yes I have It looks beautiful doesn't it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Room 24
    Hope you are having a wonderful day
    Blood moon was really cool wasn't it
    Hibban

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Ms Tannahill,
    the blood moon looked awesome on Friday night?.
    Ka kite ano!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Room 22!
    I saw the blood moon, it was pretty awesome! But sadly we can't see it for a few more decades!
    Cheers
    Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello room 24,

    I saw it too!
    I wish we could see it again,
    Anyways, have a awsome day everyone!
    Calvary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good moring Room 24, sadly I did not see it. But, looking on the photo it was beautiful any ways bye everyone!
    Elvin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Room 24!
    Yes I did see this eclipse and it was pretty awesome!
    The eclipse lasted for about 3.32 hours. There will be another one on Mon May 16 2022 that starts at 5:08 pm. It was pretty weird how there were two of them in 2021.
    Yuvaan rm23 NWS

    ReplyDelete

Blood Moon Comes to NZ

I've always been fascinated with the Astronomy, especially the night sky. I love watching sunsets and the moon rising. The phases of the...